Monday, June 14, 2010

. . .Ms. Taken. . . or Ms. Diewreckted?

My last post dealt with how I'm frequently mistaken for my friend Olive by folks here in southeast Kansas. I left everyone with the knowledge that Olive had never been mistaken by me. . .until the arrival of a letter for Olive, addressed to my house.

Now, when I first saw the return address of somewhere in Idaho, I remembered Olive's story of visiting family and llamas there. Understandably, I assumed the letter to be from her relatives, but I couldn't figure out: a) why they'd sent the letter to my address; b) how did they even know my address; c) why didn't they know Olive's address? weren't they family?

Finally got in touch with Olive, who said, "I know it's a royalty check. Open it up and tell me how much it is. I know it's not going to be much, but I can't wait!" So I opened it up, read her the letter, and put some of the pieces together.

Olive, and her father, the esteemed Dr. Victor Sullivan (retired from PSU) had both written stories to be included in the book of aviation tales: "Flights of Adventure" .
(www.flightsofadventure.info) It was published earlier this year, and Olive and Victor have done a "meet the authors" book signing at the local library. They sold books. When you sell books, you get royalties. Not much sometimes, but you get enough to go out to dinner. Maybe.

Apparently, "Flights" had sold enough that it was time to divy up the proceeds. This was done, and checks mailed out. Olive and I are still trying to figure out how the two people in charge of this effort, who have never even met me, ended up with my address and thought it was Olive's.

For now, the relatives and the llamas are off the hook. But if Olive and I ever figure out how come that royalty check got addressed to come to my house, we'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment